Who do you say I am?
"Throughout the years God spoke through His prophets specific details of the Messiah...."
And He said to them, But who do you say that I am? And Peter answered and said, You are the Christ. (Mark 8:27-29)
Who is Jesus? Let us consider the fact He was the prophesied One.
When Adam and Eve rebelled in the garden of Eden, God's plan was already in place. When He cursed the serpent, He also pointed ahead to redemption. Genesis 3:15 is the first prophecy of the Messiah. God promised at that time that the seed of the woman would defeat the serpent. Throughout the years God spoke through His prophets specific details of the Messiah.
There are many prophecies of Christ's first coming, but here are eight specific ones.
1. Isaiah prophesied how the Messiah would enter this world. In Isaiah 7:14 he prophesied the Messiah would be miraculously born of a virgin. The Messiah would not be the son of man, but the Son of God. This was fulfilled when Mary cave birth to Jesus.
2. Isaiah also prophesied, in Isaiah 40:3, that the Messiah would be proceeded by a messenger that would prepare His way. This was fulfilled by John the Baptist.
3. In Zechariah 9:9, Zechariah prophesied the Messiah would enter Jerusalem riding on a donkey. This was fulfilled when Jesus entered Jerusalem amid the shouts of hosanna.
4. In Psalm 41:9, David prophesied the Messiah would be betrayed by a friend. This was fulfilled by Judas Iscariot when He betrayed Him.
5. In Zechariah 11:12, Zechariah prophesied the exact amount Judas would be payed to betray Jesus.
6. In verse 13 he even prophesied the money would be thrown in the temple, which Judas did before he killed himself.
7. Isaiah 53:7 prophesies the Messiah would be silent before His accusers. Jesus did not defend Himself, for He came to offer Himself a sacrifice for our sins.
8. Psalm 22:16 prophesies the Messiah's hands and feet would be pierced. This was fulfilled when they nailed Jesus to the cross.
There are also several other prophecies in Psalm 22:1-18, all fulfilled in Jesus.
Who is Jesus? He is the One God promised to send to redeem and save all who will believe. Be assured the One we serve is the promised Messiah.
Just an interesting side note: Peter Stoner was a professor of mathematics. He wrote a manuscript proving the fulfilment of scriptures in the life of Jesus could not be coincidence. Using the science of probability he showed how impossible it would be. His work was reviewed by the American Scientific Affiliation and found to be sound.
Using only the 8 prophecies in the Good Morning, he found the probability of a man fulfilling the to be 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000 (100 quadrillion). To make that number more understandable try this. It would be like covering Texas with 2 feet of silver dollars, and having one silver dollar marked and mixed in with the rest. Then blindfolding a person and have them pick up the marked silver dollar. No one wants those kind of odds, and yet Jesus not only fulfilled these eight, but at least 53 others. Trust Him!